From Somiedo Experience we want you to discover all the beauty of the plant species of the Natural Park through a series of tours (of low or medium difficulty) through emblematic places of Somiedo in which we also interpret the landscape and all the surprises that the route gives us.
Somiedo is a true botanical paradise and thanks to its geology, the richness of the terrain, the oceanic climate and its high mountain topography, it is one of the areas richest in flora in the Iberian Peninsula (with more than 1,125 species)
Do you want to connect with nature and discover all the richness of Somiedo Natural Park?
Duration: 4 hours
Meeting point: Pola de Somiedo. Approximate time of departure 9:00h and 17:30h.
Price: 30 € (VAT included)
What does this activity include?
4 hours of interpretative route
We will talk about the forests, the flora and the peculiarities of the species that we will meet along the way
1 local guide
During busy times several fellow guides will help us.
We will organize groups of between 2 and 8 people so that you can enjoy a more personal and exclusive experience.
Activity suitable for everybody
30 € for 12 years and over.
15 € for children between 3 and 12 years old.
Children under 3 years old: free of charge.
Prices include VAT.
What will you learn?
- We will talk to you about the different types of forests and vegetation in the mountains of Somiedo and about the meadow areas.
- You will learn how to identify several of the botanical species that populate Somiedo.
- Depending on the time of year, we can organize a route to discover some of the more than 45 species of orchids that exist in the Natural Park.
- You will enjoy a mountain landscape that will make you fall in love with it and we will take you through routes only well known by the people who belong to this land.
- You should be able to enjoy the sighting of several animal species that inhabit these mountains of Somiedo along the route.
- We will explain to you how, thanks to the conservation efforts in Somiedo, some of the botanical species in this area (declared a protected natural one) are recovering.
Botanical curiosities of Somiedo
- Did you know that rock fennel was discovered a few years ago in Somiedo and it is the only place in the world where this species of plant grows?
- The Centaurium somedanum, which is born exclusively in these lands and in a nearby town, is very rare and has become the symbol of the Natural Park.
- Did you know that Somiedo is a land of Wild Orchids? In addition to having discovered more than 40 different species of this plant in Somiedo, some of them are unique to the Natural Park!
- Moreover, of the 73 species of indigenous Asturian trees and shrubs, 63 of them are present in Somiedo and more than half of all wild plants in Asturias (1,125)!
Do you want to know the most authentic landscape and flora of Asturias? Come with Somiedo Experience!
Frequently asked questions about the activity
What is the best time of the year to take a botanical route in Somiedo?
The truth is that Somiedo Natural Park has its charm at any time of the year and will allow you to take the same route observing different plant species in every season.
You will be able to observe orchids and the budding of beech trees in Spring and enjoy the polychromatic variety of its forests and the color of the pastures with the different species of saffron in Autumn.
Contrary to what happens in other places, in the cooler Summer you will also be able to observe native flora in Somiedo due to its particular climate and high altitudes.
If the weather is bad on my booked date, what alternatives do I have?
These types of experiences in nature are frequently unpredictable on many occasions.
For years, the Somiedo Experience guides have known how to interpret the mountain climate and we tend to get the forecasts right, but a sudden north wind is enough for the fog to roll in and the adventure to be postponed.
Therefore, even if you book your route in advance, we will always give you the option to consult and postpone it as the date of your excursion approaches *.
* Once we have started the adventure, we will not be able to cancel it.
How many people can go in each group of the botanical route?
We usually organize small size groups of between 2 and 8 people to make the experience much more personal.
Shortly before starting the route, we meet the whole group in Pola de Somiedo (next to the pharmacy).
At that time, we choose the most appropriate path for that day (depending on the weather) and we accompany you with your cars * until the start of the route on foot.
Any vehicle is valid to go to the point where we start the route on foot (we cross paved mountain roads).
* As it is a not very touristy area (Pola de Somiedo), in August you may have some difficulty finding parking for your vehicle.
What do I have to bring on the day of the route?
Ideally, that day you should come with comfortable and appropriate clothing and footwear for walking on mountain trails.
Being protected from the sun’s rays is very important. That is why we recommend you to wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
The high mountain climate is unpredictable, especially at dawn and dusk, so it is always important to carry some extra warm clothing (even in August).
Whenever possible, it is preferable to wear dark clothes so as not to attract attention and end up scaring away the fauna of the place.
If there is rain forecast, in addition to a raincoat it is important to bring an umbrella (to protect the optical material).
And to enjoy the hike with energy, we advise you to bring plenty of water and high-caloric snacks.
How do I pay for the route?
You will only have to contact us (via email) to tell us:
- The type of route or experience you want to enjoy in Somiedo.
- The date you want to go.
- And the number of people who want to come (remember that we do small groups of between 2 and 8 people).
Payment can be made in advance (through a bank transfer) or on the day of the route in Somiedo (in cash) *.
* For reasons of bad weather or not achieving the sighting of the bear, the amount will not be refunded (since they are causes beyond our control).
Supporting the conservation of Somiedo
Somiedo Experience is a local active tourism company where we are authorised by the Somiedo Natural Park to carry out brown bear watching.
Sustainability Recognition System for Nature Tourism in the Natural Network 2000